Congestion Charge & ULEZ
The Mayor of London introduced a Congestion Charging Zone around Central London in 2003. The Zone was designed to reduce the amount of traffic travelling through the city and to raise funds for the transport system. A few years later The Mayor of London's laid plans to improve the air quality and launched the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) in central London on 8th April 2019
The congestion charge itself is a fee for some categories of motor vehicle to park or travel on public roads within the congestion zone between the hours of 07:00 and 22:00
The current daily charge is:-
- Pay in advance or by midnight on the day of travel - £15.00
- By midnight of the third charging day after travel - £17.50
To help improve air quality, the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year, except Christmas Day, within the same area of central London as the Congestion Charge. Most vehicles, including cars and vans, need to meet the ULEZ emissions standards or their drivers must pay a daily charge to drive within the zone:
- £12.50 for most vehicle types, including cars, motorcycles and vans (up to and including 3.5 tonnes)
- £100 for heavier vehicles, including lorries (over 3.5 tonnes) and buses/coaches (over 5 tonnes)
You can pay the Congestion Charge & ULEZ in a number of ways. The quickest and easiest method is to register for Auto Pay, an annual registration fee of £10.00 is paid for each vehicle registered. Congestion Charge Auto Pay is an automated payment system. Once registered the system automatically records the number of charging days your vehicle travels within the charging zone each month and payment is taken from your credit or debit card. If your business has 6 or more vehicles then the business can register it's entire fleet, again a annual charge of £10.00 for each vehicle needs to be paid.
The Benefits of Auto Pay & Fleet Auto Pay
- Never forget to pay the charge again;
- Protection from receiving Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) as long as your vehicle is registered and your Auto Pay account is active;
- Register up to five vehicles personally;
- Register for Fleet Auto Pay if you have 6 or more vehicles.
Registering is subject to terms and conditions, a copy of the registration form can be downloaded from the TFL website.